POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Image Maps : Re: Image Maps Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:25:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Image Maps
From: Basiclife
Date: 15 Nov 2006 07:15:01
Message: <web.455b03b9bef31fb5291c31dd0@news.povray.org>
"Chris B" <c_b### [at] btconnectcomnospam> wrote:
> "Chris B" <c_b### [at] btconnectcomnospam> wrote in message
> >
> > "Basiclife" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
> >>
> >> I'm trying to do ...  map an image around a globe.
> >>
> >> I have ye-authentic satellite image of the earth as a JPG (I can change
> >> format if req'd) and I have a sphere with a light on it. I'm having
> >> problems combining the 2
> >>

> >> Thanks in advance
> >>

> > Hi, You want something like:
> >
> > sphere {0,1
> >  pigment {image_map {jpeg "earth.jpg" map_type 1}}
> >  translate <0.1,0.2,0.3>
> > }
> >
> > The image is mapped to the sphere at the origin using map_type 1
> > (spherical mapping) and is then translated (along with the mapped image)
> > to wherever you want it in the scene.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Chris B.
>
> I should have also mentioned that you might get better results with map_type
> 2 (cylindrical mapping) depending on the type of projection used to create
> the image. You may also need to add bands to the top and/or bottom of the
> image, depending on whether the image you have goes all the way to the
> poles.
>
> Regards,
> Chris B.

Many thanks! that was exactly what I needed. The final image will actually
have a varying image and will eb rendered regularly from the command line
for displaying on a webpage BUT I need to get this all shiny first.

Another quick question if I may:

In regards to mapping. Assume I had a checker board shape, I'd like the
horizontal and vertical lines to act in the same way as lines of lat/long.

Secondly, assume my image was 640x480 (for mapping, not the rendered
output). How can I rig this so that it is stretched around the equator once
- as a world map would have to be and covers 90% of the surface top to
bottom?

I'm assuming I add another pigment to specify colouring for those
non-covered areas but I can work that out by myself.

thank you in advance,
Simon