POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray standard include files : Re: povray standard include files Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:20:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray standard include files
From: nemesis
Date: 14 Nov 2006 11:55:01
Message: <web.4559f466341a4ab73976a8750@news.povray.org>
"Smws" <smw### [at] poboxcom> wrote:
> Are there good reasons for not doing this? Perhaps the licensing would be
> difficult...

I'm guessing most povray code published to websites like
povray.text.scene-files, Povray Objects Collection or even the IRTC are in
the public domain.  They were published without a copyright attached and in
some of them it's even impossible to determine any way to contact the
original author (no email or out-of-date).  Besides, people posting to
these places seem to actually WANT to contribute to povray in a certain
sense or else they wouldn't publish it.  I may be wrong...

> Maybe the revival of the POV-Ray objects collection would do the trick.

It would still fall in the same problem:  someone has to search over the web
to have a nice library.  I'm thinking more of bringing the povray standard
include files a facelift for more modern times.  I'm not thinking about
replacing the old files, but to complement them with more modern and
featureful addons.  If you want basic textures for objects far away, stick
with the classics, if you want very detailed layered texture_mapped
textures, you have it in the very own povray stdlib as well.

I want a more modern standard complex object other than the bicubic_patch
Utah Teapot that comes with povray as well.  Blender has a monkey head! :D
Chairs, bottles, vases, dishes, a few furniture all come to mind as well.

It should be cool to cram into povray stdlib all the nice techniques the
povray community has come up with all over these years. :)