POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray standard include files : Re: povray standard include files Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:21:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray standard include files
From: nemesis
Date: 14 Nov 2006 08:25:00
Message: <web.4559c29c341a4ab7f2ff13290@news.povray.org>
Ben Chambers:
"I think one problem hampering this is integration within POV's menu
system."

While i'm probably in the minority here, i don't use povray menu system at
all:  i use Linux at home and open the pov file i'm working on and a few
include files in vim.  It gives me nice syntax highlight and identifier
completion.  Other than that, i know a large deal of the language and what
i do not know or have doubts, i lookup the manual.

Sometimes, i do some poving at work -- my workplace luckily doesn't feature
the "No pov" sign as featured in some JVP's images :) -- running Windows,
but i still don't use it to or else i may forget the language and
constructs. yeah, call me a gluton for punishment... :P

Anyway, my point is that while integrated Insert Menu would be good, it
doesn't hamper not including more and more up-to-date include files.

Chris Cason:
"t would help if the way you /use/
the kitchen sink is standardized, with respect to the initial size,
placement
and so forth."

Yes, indeed.  Very good point.  I myself use the following convention:
model an object freely and when i think it's good enough to be in the
libray, i use a "metric checkered plane" in the background and orthographic
camera placed -5*z.  Then, i resize the object so that either height or
width fits 1 unit wide and then try to place that exactly at the center
(for symetric objects) or placed upon the origin (for chairs, for
instance).  Following that, it's easy to place it anywhere in scenes or
rotate and scale according to current needs.

"If the community wanted to work together to come up with a system that
would
smoothly integrate with other people's workflow by providing some standards
such as this I'd be quite prepared to support it by setting up a site for it
and providing whatever hosting support is needed."

Listen to Chris, people!

I've seen such efforts in the past, like the old Povray Objects Collection,
but this is an effort to actually get some of those INTO povray standard
libs.  I'm more than eager to do that.  Anyone with me?