POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bricked vault : Bricked vault Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:24:22 EDT (-0400)
  Bricked vault
From: Zoly
Date: 10 Nov 2006 15:30:00
Message: <web.4554e04ace7089d1f6a4e110@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I am creating a vaulted aisle (like in a gothic cathedral). The shape of the
vault is not a sphere or a cylinder, it is a complex mathematic surface
function. I need to make it look like made of bricks using the 'brick'
pigment but I can not find the way to make the bricks to appear correctly.

I build the surface with a mesh made of triangles calculated on the fly
using the 3D function (much faster than the corresponding isosurface).

To apply the bricks, I am using uv_mapping and uv_vectors but always the
bricks appear well on the upper side (almost horizontal) but highly
distorted in the almost or completely vertical surfaces in the lower part.
If I try to calculate the uv_vectors to take the appropriate portion of the
brick pigment, then the pigments on each triangle doesn't match with their
neighbours.

I feel that I'm walking in the wrong direction. Any lights?

Thanks,
Zoly