POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Ideas for POVRAY : Re: Ideas for POVRAY Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:19:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ideas for POVRAY
From: JS
Date: 8 Nov 2006 17:05:01
Message: <web.45525360edb96be97809dc0d0@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlnet> wrote:
> "JS" <bos### [at] yahoocouk> schreef in bericht
> > Hi, everyone.
> >
> > I am working on two main projects using POVRAY and wonder as to those who
> > would be interested in them. [...]
> > The second, of which I have already almost completed, is a fully
> > articulated mannequin, ideal for animations or just still poses. I would
> > appreciate comments, help or suggestions for either project, thank you.
> >
> Years ago, I built a couple of them myself (male + female) in Moray, using
> inverse kinematics for posing the mannequin. They are very useful in Moray
> for building scenes or just for the fun of it. However, they are not very
> efficient when used directly in POV-Ray because of the scene file structure
> generated by Moray.
> I am curious about how you make posing easy and efficient in POV-Ray.
>
> Thomas

Hi, Thomas and all.

I too used inverse kinematics to make it easy to pose the mannequin. The
method I use in POVRAY involves simple rotation about the joints. For
example, if you wanted to move the arm you would rotate the upperarm about
the shoulder and the forearm and hand would move accordingly, of which also
have their own rotation (i.e. about the elbow and wrist).

If it helps, I could post the coding for POVRAY for just the arm, for
example, and I'd be interested in your comments, suggestions, etc. It's
just the matter of treating the limbs as vectors and the joints as the
endpoints of the vectors.