POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to display text in UNIX (Linux)? : Re: How to display text in UNIX (Linux)? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:20:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to display text in UNIX (Linux)?
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 3 Nov 2006 12:00:01
Message: <web.454b74045db3633d731f01d10@news.povray.org>
"Marvin" <mto### [at] grfhr> wrote:
> I've tried my best, and I was searching through docs, but it is only
> explained for Windows.
>
> 1. How to display text in UNIX (Linux)?
>    1a. Which naming convention is required for fonts?
>    1b. How to use non-ttf fonts and is it possible at all?
> 2. How to display text on Mac OS X?
> 3. How to make text display universal, despite the fact that fonts have
> different locations and aliases on various systems?

If you're talking about rendering text in povray using .ttf files, it should
be the same for all systems. I use Mac OS X, and I just copied all the font
files I wanted to use from the C:Windows/Fonts folder onto my Mac and
referenced them as "xxx.ttf" as I would under Windows. I don't think the
filename matters, so it would probably work fine even without the ttf
extension. I'm sure others can confirm/refute this... :)

(I never thought to look for the Mac fonts... I don't even know how they're
encoded...)

Bill