POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Testing real-time raytracing : Re: Testing real-time raytracing Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:28:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Testing real-time raytracing
From: Tom York
Date: 2 Nov 2006 12:50:01
Message: <web.454a2e8ebf0a728b7d55e4a40@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> In fact, I've built scenes like this, and as you say, if you turn off
> enough stuff you can get "almost realtime" rendering if your PC is a big
> enough brute. And yes, I would imagine disabling the parser makes it
> faster still. (Although on the other hand, how long does it take to
> parse half a page of text?)

I know that my use case probably isn't the same as the one this feature was
intended for. But consider that with 3.6 if I want to render 100 frames of
the scene I've been using here, just to check that the textures/finishes
look good in some sort of motion, POV spends ~30 seconds per frame simply
parsing and loading stuff that doesn't change from frame to frame. That's
at least 50 minutes spent before I even add rendering. Meshes often take a
relatively long time to parse but render very quickly (at least in my
experience) compared to some other primitives, so it can be quite easy to
get in a situation where parsing makes up 50% of the total time to produce
an animation. When the parsing isn't necessary (as in a preview of
materials), it just seems like a waste of energy and HDD light.

Tom