POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Testing real-time raytracing : Re: Testing real-time raytracing Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:26:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Testing real-time raytracing
From: Tom York
Date: 1 Nov 2006 20:00:00
Message: <web.454942d2bf0a728b7d55e4a40@news.povray.org>
> For those interested, please visit http://www.povray.org/beta/rtr/
>
> It's not very well tested (only on the systems I had available to me), so
> YMMV. Expect it to have some rough edges. Please report issues here.
>
> -- Chris

This is *great*!

I'm often in a situation where I have a reasonably simple scene that I
intend to animate, and want to preview it at some speed while maintaining
surface texture quality. Parsing tends to make up a large fraction of the
render time in some of these cases; it can even dominate. Being able to use
RTR as a sort of rapid flyby/flyaround mode is brilliant! I got about 1fps
at 160x128 on a complex scene involving complex meshes, refraction,
transparency, image maps and so on, which is many times faster than what
I'd get if I wanted to do the equivalent in 3.6 (due to the repeated
parsing). The machine is a lowly 2.4GHz P4.

The only outright issue I noticed was the first run on the RTR menger
example scene, when in my eagerness I forgot to set use_vidcap to 0 (I
don't have a webcam or other video source). This caused an "Access
violation exception" dialog to be shown, followed by an orderly shutdown of
POVWin. Setting use_vidcap to 0 removed the problem. I can reproduce this
problem on demand, should you want a dumpfile at this stage.

Tom