POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : simulating cracks in surface using normals : Re: simulating cracks in surface using normals Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:27:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: simulating cracks in surface using normals
From: Toon
Date: 25 Oct 2006 12:00:01
Message: <web.453f89f584a00c02109a9bf40@news.povray.org>
Hi,

Thanks! I've tried using average; the only problem is that it also averages
the textures at the points where there's no crack. So for example if both
textures have equal weights, the bozo strength of the MouldedLook is
divided by 2. This works fine if I use a bump_map for the crack with the
everything but the crack filled with black pixels; in this case the Crack
texture returns the simple uniform color that is part of both textures. If
I then multiply the bozo in MouldedLook by 2 I get my original texture
back.

However, I would like to use a more random pattern instead of a repeating
crack picture, and was unable to create a normal which returns some random
cracks with a strong normal but leaves everything else unaltered like in
the bump_map. Is there a good way to make such a pattern? Maybe with some
agate or marble pattern like in a pigment with a color_map like the example
on http://library.thinkquest.org/3285/language/pigment.html#agate . Can a
similar thing be done with a normal?