POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Building a house efficiently : Re: Building a house efficiently Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:32:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Building a house efficiently
From: Smws
Date: 18 Oct 2006 12:35:01
Message: <web.4536556b19a3bc31da53d9e40@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:
> ingo wrote:
> > How to build a house?
> >
> > Even though I actualy started using POV-Ray for that purpose I never
> >  actualy did it. Now I have to renovate my house and I'd like to
> > simulate a few things, especialy light and shadow and of course the
> > looks.
> >
> > Now, what is the easiest method, a box per wall? A prism? "brick by
> > brick"? Other methods?
>
>    I was facing the same question some weeks ago. I'm not planning a new
> house, but I wanted to model from real blueprints just to get real rooms
> with realistic proportions.
>
>    Finally, I found the most easy/fast method for me was to use Wings3D.
> I just used a box and an image plane with the blueprint for reference.
> (.... good explanation...)
> can take some screenshots of the process if you want...
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Jaime

Jaime:
Aha! I was looking at your newish "modern interior" pictures and I think
that this is the method you used, right? I am making a room using lots of
polygons and macros (i.e. window(wh,ww,wintype) windowwall(wh,ww,rh)
wall(l) ) that include molding, etc. but I now wish I had started out using
Wings3d too. Only in a visual modeller do I (personally) see the room coming
together. It's a lot faster for me than using CSG and spending a lot of time
sitting and visualizing things in my head or on graph paper as I have been.

I think I'll post an example of my project in p.b.i (can't resist) :) even
though it isn't as finished as Chris B's macros, which sound very
interesting...

Thanks Chris B! I will have to take a look at them...

Good luck Ingo. Since this thread is a few days old now, how's it going?

-Stefan