POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : possible feature request - material mapping : Re: possible feature request - material mapping Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:18:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: possible feature request - material mapping
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 13 Oct 2006 13:35:00
Message: <web.452fce318bfc0d57c150d4c10@news.povray.org>
"Penelope20k" <pen### [at] caramailfr> wrote:
> Just for information ..
> i was beleiving that they allow Patterned layered texture ..
> its just that the layered texture must have transparent pigment rgbt like
> .instead of rgb ...
> is that right ?

What I'm talking about is layering textures over patterned textures.

The following is not valid:
//START
#declare TLaq=//lacquer texture
texture{
  pigment{rgbt 1}
  finish{ambient 0 diffuse 0.4 conserve_energy reflection {0 1 metallic 0
fresnel on}}
}

#declare T1=texture{pigment{granite} finish{ambient 0 diffuse 0.5}}//checker
texture 1
#declare T2=texture{pigment{agate}   finish{ambient 0 diffuse 0.5}}//checker
texture 2

#declare TBase=texture{checker texture{T1} texture{T2}}//checker texture

#declare Mat=
material{
  texture{TBase}//checker texture
  texture{TTop} //overlay lacquer
  interior{ior 1.4}
}
//END

the texure TBase is a patterned texture and it is not allowed to be layered
over.  The solution here is to layer TTop over each of T1 and T2 before
putting them in the TBase texture, ie turn the problem inside out.  However
this is just a simple demonstration, it is not always as easy as that to
work around it with more complex textures.

I'm just wondering what the reason for this is.

-tgq