POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : height_field problems (crashing POV) : height_field problems (crashing POV) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:32:52 EDT (-0400)
  height_field problems (crashing POV)
From: bryan
Date: 9 Oct 2006 01:55:00
Message: <web.4529e3464445cd55cde7f9360@news.povray.org>
It's been a long time since I've done much POV (like since I put POVAFX32
together back in the day), but I've downloaded the latest & I'm messing
with some stuff now.  Bad news is I keep getting bad crashes while trying
to run POV on my computer.  I'm trying to do some animation work (play)
with height fields.  POV will intermittently crash while tracing the pov
file included below.  I've tried adjusting resolution, changing the
tga/gif/jpg height file, and several other things with no luck.  Sometimes
it'll make it all the way through the animation rendering & sometimes it
doesn't.

I'm running POV-Ray 3.6 for Windows (32 bit) on my AMD Athlon64 3200+
machine with 1GB RAM & plenty hard drive space.  Physical memory available
during the renderings seems ok.  I ran memtest on my RAM & it checks ok.
I've tried uninstalling & reinstalling with no luck.  I can run POV for
hours on other files without any issues.

The animation options for rendering test.pov are: +KI0 +KF140 +KFI0 +KFF20
If you don't use these, the object starts off the rendered portion, so
you'd have to put in a value for "clock" in the pov file.  It's crashed
with & without rendering multiple frames.

The crashes are not always the same.  Sometimes POV reports an unhandled
exception in it's own window & recommends closing the program.  Sometimes
the computer hangs.  Sometimes the computer shuts completely down & reboots
as if I just hit the reset button.  And twice I've gotten a blue screen of
death (BSOD).  The error on the BSOD was:  IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.  Not
fun.

The files needed are here:
http://www.thedukes.org/pov/test.pov  (also included below)
http://www.thedukes.org/pov/patch5_border2.jpg

It's very weird.  Any ideas?

Thanks!
-Bryan
http://www.thedukes.org/

//------start pov file
//Patch test POV file by Bryan Duke bry### [at] thedukesorg
//+KI0 +KF140 +KFI0 +KFF20  <--command line options for animation

#include "colors.inc"
#include "textures.inc"
#include "metals.inc"

global_settings { assumed_gamma 2.2 }

camera {
   location  <0, 0, -5>
//   direction <0, 0, 1>
   look_at   <0, 0, 0>
}

light_source { <-15, 30, -25> color red 1 green 1 blue 1 }
light_source { < 15, 30, -25> color red 1 green 1 blue 1 }

background { colour SkyBlue }

//declare rotations for patch height maps
#if (clock>50)
   #declare rotate_x = clock+50;
   #declare rotate_y = 90-clock+50;
   #declare rotate_z = 90-clock+50;
#else
   #declare rotate_x = 0;
   #declare rotate_y = 90;
   #declare rotate_z = 90;
#end

#declare Patch = union{

  height_field {
    jpeg "patch5_border2.jpg"
    water_level 0.1
    smooth
    pigment { color red .9 green .9 blue .9  }
    scale <2, .2, 2>
    rotate rotate_x*x
    rotate rotate_y*y
    rotate rotate_z*z
//    translate <-.50, 6, -.5>
    translate <-1*(clock/140), 1, -3.5+(clock/40)>

    }

  }

  Patch
//------end pov file