POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Saturn Ring mapping? : Re: Saturn Ring mapping? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:23:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Saturn Ring mapping?
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 5 Oct 2006 15:45:01
Message: <web.4525602153152476c150d4c10@news.povray.org>
"How Camp" <hac### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> I've downloaded a couple of transparency and color maps for Saturn's rings
> from various locations on the internet (such as:
> http://www.mmedia.is/~bjj/data/s_rings/index.html), but I'm having trouble
> figuring out exactly how to use these color/transparency 'strips' in an
> actual texture.  Best I can do is get the texture applied in some screwy
> radial fashion instead of onion-like concentric rings.
>
> Would anyone be so kind as to show me a simple example of how to effectively
> use these images to map onto a disc (or similar)?
>
> - How

Interesting.  I don't think any of the map_types will give you what you are
looking for.  The way I understand it, the strips represent one radial line
of the ring, and it needs to be swept around the origin.  You likely need to
use user-defined functions to transform the images into a radial pattern.
If I get time, I'll try to throw together an example for you unless someone
else has a better idea how to do it.

-tgq