POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : OSX X-Windows problems : OSX X-Windows problems Server Time
1 Jun 2024 07:15:39 EDT (-0400)
  OSX X-Windows problems
From: P  Vanhuben
Date: 27 Sep 2006 23:50:01
Message: <web.451b45c9da115271a241da900@news.povray.org>
Hi Everyone-

First I'd like to say "Thanks" to the Povray team, Pov is AWESOME!

I am trying to get the UNIX version of povray running on a MacPro (Intel
Xeon). Povray compiles from source and generates images with no problem.
Running from Xterm it traces an image and prints out the ASCII image on the
Xterm screen.   MegaPov also works with no problem. I prefer the UNIX
version but I can't get the X-Windows render window working.

I would like to get the Povray X-Windows Render preview working.  I have
installed Apple's version of X-Windows and it runs Xclock and Xterm with no
problems.

The Intel version of X-Windows for Macintosh seems to have the header files
in the "Developer SDK" directories and not in the same place as they were
for the Power PC version. I have tried adding
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/X11R6/include/X11/
to the directories in "configure" but with no success.

Can anyone suggest somethig else to try?

When I configure Povray I get:

Libraries
---------
checking whether to enable static linking... no
checking for sin in -lm... yes
checking for asinh... yes
checking for vga_init in -lvga... no
configure: SVGAlib display will be disabled

checking for X... no                                          <-------------
here is the problem.

configure: X Window display will be disabled
checking for installed supporting libraries... yes
checking for library containing zlibVersion... -lz
checking zlib.h usability... yes
checking zlib.h presence... yes
checking for zlib.h... yes
checking for libz version >= 1.2.1... 1.2.3, ok
checking for library containing png_get_libpng_ver... no
configure: libpng will be built and statically linked to POV-Ray
checking for library containing jpeg_std_error... no
configure: libjpeg will be built and statically linked to POV-Ray
checking for libtiff... forced by libjpeg
configure: libtiff will be built and statically linked to POV-Ray

POV-Ray 3.6.1 has been configured with the following features:
  I/O restrictions: enabled
  X Window display: disabled
  SVGAlib display : disabled

Type 'make' to build, and 'make install' to install all files in the
hierarchy
/usr/local

 Thanks

-Paul