POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : object media / spotlight aberration : Re: object media / spotlight aberration Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:22:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: object media / spotlight aberration
From: Kenneth
Date: 22 Sep 2006 05:40:00
Message: <web.4513ab5d55cb6906b0d7b10e0@news.povray.org>
"Tim Attwood" <tim### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
> The problem is in the spotlight definition...
>
> Although it is legal to put "translate" before the spotlight terms, it
> confuses the parser....

Hi, Tim--

Well, I'm amazed. That simple trick eliminated the problem. I would never
have thought of looking at the ordering of terms in the light source (and
didn't know it could make such a difference!) Thank you.

UNFORTUNATELY, "inserting" a spotlight into a scene's code using the insert
menu (as I did) automatically  plugs in the problem-causing arrangement of
terms. I had always assumed that the POV developers had already worked out
the "best" way to write these bits of code. Now I'm not so sure (and that's
kind of unsettling.) At the very least, the current spotlight SDL code--and
the cylinder light code-- need to be rewritten (to reflect whatever *is* the
best form of the terms, given the parsing problems you mentioned.)
Errors like this--in such basic parts of the  POV package--are a bit more
than just a nuisance.

If I may ask: How did you happen to come by this bit of information? Is
there perhaps a source of similar info on the 'net that I should be looking
at?

Ken W.