POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : *.pov file reading : Re: *.pov file reading Server Time
1 Jun 2024 05:45:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: *.pov file reading
From: Francesco Pietra
Date: 9 Sep 2006 03:05:01
Message: <web.450265f25cffe275cfe7615f0@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Calimet <pov### [at] freefr> wrote:
> > YOU ARE RIGHT, DEBIAN POVRAY-3.6 HAS A KNOWN BUG. I INSTALLED POVRAY-3.5
> > (3.5.0C-10) DEBIAN.
>
>  You are of course free to deal with a version that was released more than
> *four* years ago and which is known to have weaknesses (in particular the Debian
> package for 3.50c contains unofficial, unstable extensions).  POV-Ray 3.6 has been
> released two years ago already, after thorough testing; yet the Debian maintainers
> did not succeed to provide with a working binary as of today.
>
> > FROM DEBIAN IT WAS
> > QUICKER AND I AM SURE ABOUT ALL DEPENDENCIES.
>
>  POV-Ray 3.6.x for Linux contains no external dependencies, while the Debian
> package of 3.50c has dependencies to unsupported and outdated libraries.
>
>  Besides, if you start having problems with the povray.conf settings in 3.50c,
> I'm sorry to tell that you will be on your own to solve them (hint: you will have
> to search back in this newsgroup).
>
>  - NC

Hi Nic:
Thanks a lot for your warnings that I appreciate and agree on. However, I am
at the moment too pressed in setting up the lecture for an important task,
to convince the political authorities to put a south-seas marine area under
environmental protection (therefore the need of impressive slides). As soon
as the task is concluded, I'll resume the problem of getting an official
release of povray.

The 3.6 I downloaded was not from Debian, I recognized later. It was posted
anonymous, while uploaded by aptitude. The 3.5 from Debian allows me to
insert png files into OpenOffice Impress and I'll refrain to ask any help
about this release from this site. Should I meet obstacles, economy demands
that I go to the official 3.6 immediately.

Again, I am not bound to any flavor of linux, not even to unix (although I
do not use other OS than Linux Debian, unix lacks viable free-form database
and molecular drawings packages, which I have to use through wine).

Nice week end

francesco