POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : *.pov file reading : Re: *.pov file reading Server Time
1 Jun 2024 05:57:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: *.pov file reading
From: Francesco Pietra
Date: 7 Sep 2006 09:55:00
Message: <web.450024855cffe27528b1f36f0@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Calimet <pov### [at] freefr> wrote:
> > francesco@debian:~/tmp$ povray +W320 +H240 -H
> > /home/francesco/tmp/+Icolchicine.pov /home/francesco/tmp/+Ocolchicine.tga
> > Could not find file '/home/francesco/tmp/+Ocolchicine.tga'
> > Cannot open INI file '/home/francesco/tmp/+Ocolchicine.tga'.
>
>  The error messages are pretty clear, though...
>  If to follow your example, you should write:
>
> povray +W320 +H240 +I/home/francesco/tmp/colchicine.pov
+O/home/francesco/tmp/colchicine.tga

>  but this is *not* correct either.  Instead, you'd better go with:
>
> # assuming you are still in your ~/tmp directory
> povray colchicine.pov +w320 +h240 +ft
>
>  where +ft means you want the output image in the (uncompressed) TGA format
> (the filename extension means nothing to POV-Ray).  I'd recommend using the default
> PNG output as it will give you a much smaller file and is compatible with many apps.
> Just do not specify +ft at all in this case.
>
>  - NC

Hi Nic:
Thank you for your express answer.

It didn't work:
francesco@debian:~$ cd tmp
francesco@debian:~/tmp$ povray colchicine.pov +w320 +h240
Illegal instruction
francesco@debian:~/tmp$ povray colchicine.pov +w320 +h240 +ft
Illegal instruction
francesco@debian:~/tmp$ ls
colchicine.pov  example.pov
francesco@debian:~/tmp$ povray example.pov +w320 +h240 +ft
Illegal instruction
francesco@debian:~/tmp$ povray example.pov +w320 +h240
Illegal instruction
francesco@debian:~/tmp$

I wonder whether

[Permitted Paths]
;read = "/this/directory/contains space caracters"
read* = /usr/share/povray/include
read* = /usr/share/povray/scenes
read* = /etc/povray/
read* = %HOME%
read+write* = /tmp
read+write  = .

is correct, or
read+write* = %HOME%
is the choice. Or if I have any problem of environmental variables (echo
$PATH does not show anything related to povray, although really I was in
the directory containing the *.pov files)

Thanks again for your patience. Finally we will come out this trick.

francesco