POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : media setup i don't understand... : Re: media setup i don't understand... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:20:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: media setup i don't understand...
From: jimmy
Date: 2 Sep 2006 08:20:01
Message: <web.44f975e1a5ed894c3cba71480@news.povray.org>
"Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> "jimmy" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
> > Hello all,
> > I need you help with a scene of mine.
> > Basically i'm trying to modell a "flared" disc of gaz...
> >
> > The disc is the surface inside a cylinder and between 2 paraboloids...
> > I fill it with emitting media...
> >
> > i wanted to tell the code i want more emmiting media to the center of the
> > disc...i did it with a cylindrical density pattern.
> >
> > my problem is that bright part of my media is not centered in the
> > disc...it
> > seems that it has nothing to do with the cylindrical pattern...
> > i spent many hours trying to understand what i did wrong...i figure it may
> > be a silly error of mine, but it can also be something i simply did not
> > understand so i'm requesting your help! :D
> >
> > i'm looking forward for your advices
> > jimmy
> >

> Not sure what your problem is, but the density is working as should be
> expected.  Try looking from directly above or the side and it is centred
> fine.  I think what you see as off-centred is a result of the angle of view.
>
> -tgq

Thanks for your answer Trevor.
Yes i saw that face on and edge on the behavior looked fine.
Also  iknew there would be line of sight effect but i estimated they would
not be that big...

i'm confused especially knowing that with a perfect cylinder (Cube in the
code), the media is nicely centered...playing with h_min value i can
transform my flared disc into a cylinder (or very very close
), YET it shows a complete different behaviour from the cylinder...

jimmy