POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Replacing a sky_sphere with a cylinder. : Re: Replacing a sky_sphere with a cylinder. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:28:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Replacing a sky_sphere with a cylinder.
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 25 Aug 2006 09:20:01
Message: <web.44eef86a84f946e0c150d4c10@news.povray.org>
"Ephphatha" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I know this is a stupid question, but I haven't found how to change it yet
> in the documentation.
>
> At the moment, I have this:
>
> // Create an infinite sphere around scene and allow any pigment on it
> sky_sphere {
>   pigment {
>     gradient z
>     color_map { [0.0 color rgb <180/255,230/255,255/255>] [1.0 color blue
> 0.5] }
>   }
> }
>
> I know how to put an image on it, that's no problem. I want it to be a
> cylinder though so I can put a tiled image of a forest on it that will
> repeat side by side, but not stack. I hope I'm making sense here. Can
> someone help?

This is not strictly possible, as the sky_spere has no actual dimensions,
basically if a ray misses everything else, the sky sphere is evaluted at
that ray.  Fowhat you want to do, perhaps look at either cylindrical
mapping onto the sky_sphere or using an actual cylinder, scaled large
enough for what you want it to look like.  The latter may be the best
option, as it allows you to have a sky_sphere beyond and above the forest
as well.

-tgq