POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Render error when scaling entire scene : Re: Render error when scaling entire scene Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:19:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Render error when scaling entire scene
From: Eric Buddington
Date: 24 Aug 2006 16:45:00
Message: <web.44ee0f9db0db66c0abef64010@news.povray.org>
"Nicolas Alvarez" <nic### [at] gmailrockscom> wrote:
> "Eric Buddington" <ebu### [at] wesleyanedu> wrote:
> > I am having trouble rendering scenes on a large scale, where the distances
> > and sizes are millions of units.
> >
> Problem is probably floating-point number accuracy.
>
> http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/languageQandT.html#largescaleproblems

Excellent - I hadn't seen this discussion before. I can't quite figure how
(in the FAQ's example) a distance of 10^5 is enough to cause these
artefacts, though I can  certainly see how you can lose lots of precision
subtracting two floats of nearly equal magnitude.

I'm certainly more willing to accept the necessity of HUGE_VAL, given this.
It really destroys the options for cosmic-scale rendering, though.

-Eric