POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Render error when scaling entire scene : Re: Render error when scaling entire scene Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:15:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Render error when scaling entire scene
Date: 24 Aug 2006 05:55:01
Message: <web.44ed765eb0db66c0bd8c5ded0@news.povray.org>
"Nicolas Alvarez" <nic### [at] gmailrockscom> wrote:
> "Eric Buddington" <ebu### [at] wesleyanedu> wrote:
> > I am having trouble rendering scenes on a large scale, where the distances
> > and sizes are millions of units.
> >
> Problem is probably floating-point number accuracy.
>
> http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/languageQandT.html#largescaleproblems

If you replace the sphere object with an equivalent 'isosurface sphere'
the scene from Eric and the demo scene from
http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/languageQandT.html#largescaleproblems
do not show any problems.

Is there a problem with sphere objects?

(I would like HUGE_VAL to be removed from the source code too, because
it seems to be an arbitrary limit, and _relative_ precision should be
looked at instead IMHO).