POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Render error when scaling entire scene : Render error when scaling entire scene Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:19:33 EDT (-0400)
  Render error when scaling entire scene
From: Eric Buddington
Date: 22 Aug 2006 22:05:01
Message: <web.44ebb719afe2a12aabef64010@news.povray.org>
I am having trouble rendering scenes on a large scale, where the distances
and sizes are millions of units. Here is a test case that should draw the
same image for every frame, since all positions and sizes are interms of
'm', but in fact shows the sphere shrinking as clock increases from 0 to 1:

#declare m = 980000+130000*clock;
#declare camera_pos = <0,0,1>*m;
#declare sphere_pos = camera_pos + x*10*m;
camera { location camera_pos look_at sphere_pos }
sphere { sphere_pos, 1*m texture { pigment { color rgb 1 } finish { ambient
1 }}}

I remember from old forays into the POV code that weird things happen when
object sizes/volumes approach HUGE_VAL and related constants. Is that the
problem here?
Should I submit a patch if I can improve the situation?

I am running POV-Ray 3.6.1 on Linux 2.6.17-mm6 with an Athlon processor.
The binary was compiled from unpatched source.

Thanks for any advice.

-Eric