POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Rollercoaster type maths (not possible in povray?) : Re: Rollercoaster type maths (not possible in povray?) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:20:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rollercoaster type maths (not possible in povray?)
From: CdeathJd
Date: 19 Aug 2006 16:20:00
Message: <web.44e771f5d4496aa8e2e0912a0@news.povray.org>
"Tim Attwood" <tim### [at] comcastnet> wrote:

> #declare Path_Spline = Spl_coaster;
> #declare Shape_Spline = Spl_Ibeam;
> union {
>    Extrude_Spline(24, 200, y, 0.01, 0.01)
> }

I tried that and it errored, there were not enough parameters, 5 given, 8
expected, i looked at the extrude file, but its all gibberish to me,
however the comments helped a little bit, but when i ran it, where it says

// usage :
object{ExtrudeSpline(nseg,nseg,Shape,Path,doSmooth,doTest,doFile,fname)
texture{pigment{Red} finish {phong 1}}}

i put my declared shape where "shape" is supposed to go and the Spline where
"path" is supposed to go, but it says it was expecting an array.

I tried using two "monorail" splines and offseting them by adding

"#declare Point1 = (-0.5*y+1*x)+MySpline(Value1);" but at every turn the
tubes crossed over, so that didnt work.

Everything you put after what u quoted above means nothing to me... I dont
have a PHD in maths, which it seems you need to have to use povray for
complex stuff.

It doesn't matter though, i could get my track making program perhaps to
make a spline for the left rail, a spline for the right rail, a spline
inbetween for some wooden "staples" but this would involve 3 seperate
splines, possibly with as much as 6000 points in each one. Surely theres an
easier way.

Also i could make the program output the spline (which the camera would use)
and also the location AND ROTATION of each left rail, right rail, staple
etc. That would be a completely stupid amount of objects though!

I'm close to giving up once again, at least i know that the fault is mine
for not being superb at maths. I'm pretty good at it, just not trigonometry
(which i cannot understand).