POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : "Shrinking" the ambient occlusion : Re: "Shrinking" the ambient occlusion Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:19:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Shrinking" the ambient occlusion
From: Mike Andrews
Date: 18 Aug 2006 14:05:00
Message: <web.44e600e61dc11509c717c9af0@news.povray.org>
Comments below ...

"ZainAnak" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Interesting.  Since it lies within the user-defined directions section, does
> this then mean I have to manually define the direction for every sample at
> every point in my scene?  That doesn't seem right.  I would like Pov to
> keep doing its own internal sample directions with its direction table, and
> just vary their weight based on the cos(theta) described in 2.7.3.  Does
> that seem possible?
>
> -ZA

As an addendum to my previous post, I just had a go and came up with the
following radiosity block. It's probably not optimal for anything but you
might give it a go as a starting point.

Bye for now,

Mike Andrews.

// --- code starts ---
// --- MegaPov 1.2.1 only! ---
#version unofficial megapov 1.21;

#declare _Phi=(sqrt(5)-1)/2;

global_settings{
  radiosity {
    randomize on
    #declare Spread = 0.5;
    #declare maxS = 40;
    samples {
      maxS,
      #declare C = 0; #while (C < maxS)
        #declare F = sqrt(C/(maxS-1));
        #declare S = vrotate(x, _Phi*C*360*z)*F*Spread;
        <S.x, S.y, sqrt(1-S.x*S.x-S.y*S.y)> #if (C < maxS-1) , #end
      #declare C = C + 1; #end
    }
    pretrace_start 8/image_width
    pretrace_end   2/image_width