POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : "Shrinking" the ambient occlusion : Re: "Shrinking" the ambient occlusion Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:13:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Shrinking" the ambient occlusion
From: Mike Andrews
Date: 18 Aug 2006 13:20:00
Message: <web.44e5f6861dc11509c717c9af0@news.povray.org>
Comments below ...

"ZainAnak" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Interesting.  Since it lies within the user-defined directions section, does
> this then mean I have to manually define the direction for every sample at
> every point in my scene?  That doesn't seem right.  I would like Pov to
> keep doing its own internal sample directions with its direction table, and
> just vary their weight based on the cos(theta) described in 2.7.3.  Does
> that seem possible?
>
> -ZA

As it says in '2.7.3.2.2. user defined directions':

'The coordinate system for these sample ray directions is relative to the
surface at the sample position. The z-Axis points in normal direction. All
directions should be in the upper hemisphere (z coordinate >0).'

So, you define one set of samples based around the z-axis and the sample set
is rotated at every surface point so that the z-axis of the set is aligned
with the surface normal.

I haven't used the cos(theta) weighting option, but this would not let you
vary the spread - although using it would tend to give a similar effect as
tightening the spread a certain amount.

Hope this helps,

Mike Andrews.