POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Need Help With Radiosity : Re: Need Help With Radiosity Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:19:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need Help With Radiosity
From: Cherry363
Date: 18 Aug 2006 11:20:00
Message: <web.44e5d9b2630de5424433558a0@news.povray.org>
"Jeremy M. Praay" <jer### [at] questsoftwarecom> wrote:
> "Cherry363" <che### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> > Sorry to be such a bother, but I tried to enter the settings you suggested
> > and I keep getting errors....this is how I entered it:
> >
> > global_settings {radiosity {count 200, error_bound 1}{ max_trace_level 100
> > ambient_light rgb<0.830000, 0.830000, 0.830000> assumed_gamma 1.0}
> > // sunlight
> > light_source { < 4226.182699, 14281.480312, 9063.078165 >, rgb <1.000000,
> > 1.000000, 1.000000>
> >  parallel point_at < -0.422618, -1.428148, -0.906308 > fade_power 0}
> >
> > }
> >
> > The radiosity line keeps getting errored....what am I doing wrong?
> >

> To have a good radiosity scene, I normally turn off ambient_light.  In this
> case, I think that is what's getting in the way.
>
> change it to say:
> "ambient_light off" for a full radiosity scene
>
> It's possible that this could cause you other problems (if everything goes
> black), but if it's a radiosity scene, even with relatively "weak"
> radiosity, you should be fine.
>
> I hope that helps.  If not, we'll figure it out.
>
> --
> Jeremy M. Praay
> www.beantoad.com

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all the help so far.  I'm trying to implement your ideas, but I
keep getting errors on the radiosity line.  The problem is this.....I do
not understand how to change the global settings line.  I don't know how to
enter things in the right order, or place.  What would really help me, is
for somebody to copy and paste EXACTLY what the global settings block
should look like, from top to bottom, with everything shown.  Because I
have no idea whatsoever what any of these settings mean, or where to put
them.  It is very frustrating, because Chief Architect uses the PovRay
program, but my CA is malfunctioning and the internal PovRay won't work.
In Chief, all you have to do is select the level of radiosity (none, low,
med, or high), select the level of anti-aliasing, and click start.
Super-easy.  No need to enter settings, no need to know the PovRay
language.....it's all just done automatically!  I just really need to "see"
what the block should look like with high radiosity settings.

Thanks in advance!