POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : "Shrinking" the ambient occlusion : Re: "Shrinking" the ambient occlusion Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:21:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Shrinking" the ambient occlusion
From: Mike Andrews
Date: 18 Aug 2006 10:15:00
Message: <web.44e5ca411dc11509c717c9af0@news.povray.org>
Coments below ...

"ZainAnak" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Hey all.  I'm playing around with all the radiosity settings, and I'm
> running into the problem where everything is looking very small scale.  For
> example, a car on a street has this very wide GI shadowing happening beneath
> it, which makes it look like a toy car.  I'm wondering which parameters I
> can use to decrease the "spread", so to speak, of GI shadowing.  There is
> an excellent description of what I'm talking about in this mental ray
> tutorial:
>
> (click to about the 8:00 mark):
>
> http://www.williamkladis.com/tutorial01/tutorial01.html
>
> Any ideas?  It seems to influence the sense of scale of the image
> tremendously.

It looks like the 'spread' controls the radius of the sample-cone around the
surface normal. This effect could be achieved in MegaPov 1.2.1 by setting
user-defined sample directions (see section 2.7.3, and subsections below,
of the MegaPov documentation). A smaller cone of samples would give a
decreased 'spread'. I do not see that there is a way to do it in standard
PoV-Ray.

> Thanks!
> -ZA

Regards,