POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Need Help With Radiosity : Re: Need Help With Radiosity Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:15:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need Help With Radiosity
From: Cherry363
Date: 18 Aug 2006 00:05:00
Message: <web.44e53bf7630de5424433558a0@news.povray.org>
"Jeremy M. Praay" <jer### [at] questsoftwarecmo> wrote:
> "Cherry363" <che### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> > Hello......I am hoping somebody can help me with radiosity settings.  I
> > import my scenes into PovRay from Chief Architect, and almost all of the
> > settings I need automatically come with my import, but the scenes are set
> > to no radiosity.  I need to up the quality of light in my renderings, but
> > have no idea how to set radiosity to what would be a medium-high level.
> > Can somebody please give me very specific instructions on how to do this
> > (I
> > have tried reading the documentation with PovRay and I don't understand at
> > all how to do this!)
> >

> In addition to Sherry's advice, if you need further help, you could also
> post a sample scene to the povray.binaries.images group.  Good radiosity
> settings are generally very dependent upon the other lighting and objects in
> an image.  In other words, what works well in one situation will not work
> well in another.
>
> Another short answer is simply to keep increasing "count" and keep lowering
> "error_bound" until you see something that looks good.  That barely
> scratches the surface, if you want good quality that renders in a reasonable
> time, but it's a good start.
>
> e.g.
>
> global_settings {
>   assumed_gamma 1.0
>   radiosity {
>     count 200
>     error_bound 1
>   }
> }
>
> Decreasing "error_bound" (imho) will create deeper shadows, whereas
> increasing "count" will make smoother shadows (meaning fewer blotchy
> spots/artifacts).

Sorry to be such a bother, but I tried to enter the settings you suggested
and I keep getting errors....this is how I entered it:

global_settings {radiosity {count 200, error_bound 1}{ max_trace_level 100
ambient_light rgb<0.830000, 0.830000, 0.830000> assumed_gamma 1.0}
// sunlight
light_source { < 4226.182699, 14281.480312, 9063.078165 >, rgb <1.000000,
1.000000, 1.000000>
  parallel point_at < -0.422618, -1.428148, -0.906308 > fade_power 0}

}

The radiosity line keeps getting errored....what am I doing wrong?