POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : K3DSurf 0.5.5 is out : Re: K3DSurf 0.5.5 is out Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:14:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: K3DSurf 0.5.5 is out
From: gregjohn
Date: 15 Aug 2006 12:00:00
Message: <web.44e1ef331a628c5d40d56c170@news.povray.org>
Yes, as I understand it, a slew of coders have contributed code over the
years; you don't have the legal authority to set up a new license without
their permission; some of these contributors have disappeared into the
woodwork. You might be able to get away with a new license, but wisely
choose to avoid the legal risk of someone re-emerging from the woodwork and
suing you.

I wonder however to what extent you could adopt some other license for one
of your re-writes (4.0?). There must be a license which would not only
protect your work against the commercial exploitation you rightly are
concerned about but also is a document that the software (linux!) world is
already familiar with (four examples I believe were listed earlier in the
thread).  That is what I'd like to see.