POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : how can i run povray on a dual-core? : Re: how can i run povray on a dual-core? Server Time
1 Jun 2024 04:50:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: how can i run povray on a dual-core?
From: Meothuru
Date: 14 Aug 2006 01:30:00
Message: <web.44e00971fdfbba3f4f8f41de0@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Calimet <pov### [at] freefr> wrote:
> > beta14. how can I activate my second core?

> will use 2 render threads, which means both of your cores should be used at
> nearly 100% for rendering (if nothing else is taking up cpu power).  You might

How should this possible ?

A normal user have only a limited bandwith of CPU-power and this is far
away from 100% CPU power. Because a program/user wich gets realy 100% of
the  CPU power would block the computer for all other programs/users.
And this can not be allowed in a Multiuser-System.
(btw. web-severs handles this in the same way, by a bandwith-control).

So the "top" command shows only the capacity of the User-Bandwith....not
the absolute CPU usage.

You can verify this very simple. Go to the "root-mode" and start
provray with the highest possible "nice value" of the privileged mode.
In this mode povray gets *much more* CPU-power than a normal user can
ever get....this reduce on the one hand the Rendering-time,
on the other hand, it is nearly impossible to do any other things
one this computer during the render-time.