POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Memory parse error : Re: Memory parse error Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:25:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory parse error
From: Mike8
Date: 10 Aug 2006 20:30:01
Message: <web.44dbca193fb029bee8eab8b00@news.povray.org>
> By larger than 6Mb, do you mean the source file?
> Are there objects that are generated proceduraly? If so, how many? It's easy to have
some millions of objects that wa
y.
> Try rendering with the task manager open. How much does the process
> "pvengine.exe" use? Maybe that during the parsing process you need more than the
> maximum amount of memory that windows can allocate to a single process. If I
> remember correctly, it's about 2 Gig, up to 3 with some tweaks.
> Increasing your virtual memory to 20 Gb can't help, as the OS can't cope with
> more than 4 Gb, the limit imposed by the 32 bits architecture, any more than 3
> Gb is just a waste of disk space.
> You can try rendering with the -d switch to suppress the render window and free
> the memory it use. Usefull if you render very large images.
>
> --
> Alain
> Error in operator: add beer

Hello,
  Thank you for the advice. Yes, the source file is slightly larger than
6MB. I will try disabling the render window. The povengine process uses at
peak 840,000 kilobytes for about 1 second, and then not over 80,000kb for
the rest of the operation. I tried the render twice more, and when I
stopped the render the second time, it did show me a line of offending
code, though I can't tell if it's incorrect or not. How do I make the
'tweaks' to
the system's virtual memory? And what do you mean 'objects generated
proceduraly'? Thanks for your help,
   Michael