POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Raytracing and GPU utilization : Re: Raytracing and GPU utilization Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:15:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Raytracing and GPU utilization
From: jhu
Date: 8 Aug 2006 00:30:01
Message: <web.44d81256a65e0a402824b8210@news.povray.org>
That's just Gelato, which only works on NVidia GPUs. However, take a look at
http://www.gpgpu.org, a repository for general purpose computing on the GPU.
Quite a bit of general purpose computing can be performed on the GPU alone.

OpenGL can be utilized as a general purpose interface to the current crop of
GPUs.  Perhaps parts of Povray can be coded to take advantage of this. The
only problem I can see is that NVidia GPUs use single-precision floating
point and calculations may not be IEEE 754 compliant. On the other hand,
NVidia is somehow able to get around this with their raytracer.