POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : rotating the camera : Re: rotating the camera Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:27:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rotating the camera
From: shimon a10
Date: 2 Aug 2006 07:50:00
Message: <web.44d0907a4df2b2d730777a030@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> shimon_a10 <shi### [at] wallacoil> wrote:
> > 1. I want to know how to rotate the camera around the vector (which is the
> >    origin to the placement point of the camera).
>
>   I didn't completely understand what is it exactly that you want to
> rotate the camera around, but here's a generic answer:
>
>   If you want to rotate the camera around the origin (ie. the <0, 0, 0>
> coordinate of space) then just add a 'rotate <something, something, something>'
> to the end of your camera definition.
>
>   If you want to rotate the camera around a given point, add these statements
> at the end of your camera definition:
>
> translate -ThePoint
> rotate <whatever, whatever, whatever>
> translate ThePoint
>
>   Note that rotating the camera is the same as rotating an object. The
> look_at coordinate will be rotated too, not just the location of the camera.
>
>   If the point around which you want to rotate the camera is not the same
> as the look_at coordinate and what you want is to only rotate the location
> of the camera around a certain point while keeping look_at fixed, you need
> to resort to some vector math. If you want to rotate the location of the
> camera around the origin you can do it like this:
>
> location vrotate(CameraOriginalLocation, <whatever, whatever, whatever>)
>
>   If you want to rotate it around a certain point, it can be done like this:
>
> location vrotate(CameraOriginalLocation-ThePoint,
>                  <whatever, whatever, whatever>) + ThePoint
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

first thank u for your answer.

1. In my question i ment that: if i want to rotate the camera around certain
   veactor which act as an axis (for example: rotate the camera around the
   line which connect the origin to the camera point).
2. this vector which act as an optical axis is not paralel to the coordinate
   system.
3. again lots of thanks for your help.

shimon