POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Rollercoaster type maths (not possible in povray?) : Re: Rollercoaster type maths (not possible in povray?) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:26:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rollercoaster type maths (not possible in povray?)
From: CdeathJd
Date: 1 Aug 2006 15:25:00
Message: <web.44cfa987d4496aa8e2e0912a0@news.povray.org>
"Mike Sobers" <sob### [at] mindspringcom> wrote:

> Each track is placed relative to the previous one, just update the current
> track piece location, and give new position and rotation.
>
> > Any more tips? i do apreciate the help, even if its not helping me!
>
> Well, believe it or not, the previous suggestions are much simpler and
> easier to implement than the technique you described (unless, of course,
> you're trying to port some existing code over to POVray, in which case a
> simple macro should do the trick). Don't be too quick to put down software
> you don't fully understand, and people will be more likely to help you
> solve your problem.
>
> Mike

Thanks for the example, i've not looked into macros, they look a bit like
function statements, but i dont understand the example i'm afraid. It looks
like A is the position of the first object and b, is how much the next moves
from it, i get the rotation, but how is the user supposed to know the
correct movement between the track pieces if there are hundreds of objects?

BTW i know the programs failures are my own failiures in the field of maths,
i am probably disabled in this area of programming because i never could
understand trigonometry. I did also initially try to port code over but it
didn't work, as the inbuild functions between programs are totally
different.