POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Real benefit of a 64 bit Pov binary on a 64 bit CPU in a 64 bit opsys? : Re: Real benefit of a 64 bit Pov binary on a 64 bit CPU in a 64 bit opsys? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:13:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Real benefit of a 64 bit Pov binary on a 64 bit CPU in a 64 bit opsys?
From: Mike Sobers
Date: 31 Jul 2006 14:10:01
Message: <web.44ce4739551fb018d5f7071c0@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Stefan Viljoen <spamnot@ wrote:
> > Would have been nice if it rendered twice as fast, though...
>
>    Think about it for a moment. Exactly *what* would be the thing
> in a 64-bit binary which could possibly make it twice as fast compared
> to a 32-bit binary?
>
>    Where does this idea that increasing bitness can make a binary
> faster come from? I don't get it. It's a bit like saying that reading
> a book is faster if we make the pages twice as big. It doesn't make
> any sense.

If a 64-bit processor could run two 32-bit programs at the same time, or if
a 64-bit binary ran two equivalent 32-bit processes simultaneously, then it
would make sense that it could be twice as fast.  But, that's only true if
it takes the same amount of time to perform a 64-bit operation as a 32-bit
operation (which isn't the case).

Mike