POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : get the rays back : get the rays back Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:21:58 EDT (-0400)
  get the rays back
From: zorro
Date: 31 Jul 2006 10:40:00
Message: <web.44ce15c61910e8fe7049ed940@news.povray.org>
Hi everybody.
I find POV-ray very useful to test my computer vision algorithm.
However I don't understand how focal length works. In particular after
rendering my image I need to get the rays back from the image pixel, or
better, given a image pixel at coordinate (x,y) of the image, I want to
associate to it the relevant ray that passes through the pinhole of the
camera (namely, its 3D equation).

For my preliminary experiments I use the simply standard camera
camera
{ location <0, 0, 0>
  direction <0,0,-1>
}

So I was wonder what is the value of focal length (1?), so that if I have
the pixel in (15,12) in the image (with the origin set in the middle of the
image) what is the equation of the ray associated to that pixel? How this is
also related to the resolution of the image?

Thank you.

Simone