POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : T-Shirt as evangelistic tract for POV-Ray : Re: T-Shirt as evangelistic tract for POV-Ray Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:09:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: T-Shirt as evangelistic tract for POV-Ray
From: gregjohn
Date: 20 Jul 2006 10:30:01
Message: <web.44bf9237ec13664e40d56c170@news.povray.org>
See:
http://www.xfrog.com/4images/search.php?search_user=gtran

Take for example, "The Accident".
http://www.xfrog.com/4images/details.php?image_id=92&mode=search

I can think of no other artist whose work inspires me more, whom I believe
deserving of accolades and cash, whose work I'd rather have on my wall.

I think "The Accident" might be one of the coolest works of Gilles. But as
it is, I think it makes a poor "evangelistic tract" for povray, as I'd
guess 75% of viewers will assume it's a photograph of the present reality
we exist in. I don't think that exhaustive photorealism is itself a bad
thing, but that if you are specifically interested in impressing folks with
a raytracer, you ought to either:

i) have exhaustive photorealism of an unreal world or impossible items in
our world, or

ii) throw into the mix of objects a variation in completeness. Such as an
untextured grey car in "The Accident", or one with wireframe (not that we
have this innately in povray).

Just my 2 cents.