POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Cross-Platform Curiosity Question : Re: Cross-Platform Curiosity Question Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:10:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cross-Platform Curiosity Question
From: PM 2Ring
Date: 19 Jul 2006 10:40:00
Message: <web.44be43911f85aa55534cf7610@news.povray.org>
"Dave Matthews" <dav### [at] mnwestedu> wrote:
> When I create a file on my Mac, whether using MegaPOV or POVRay (at least I
> think I also get them from the POVRay for Mac version -- all the examples
> I'm looking at now come from MegaPOV), when I bring the file up in my
> POVRay for Windows editor, I get little rectangular boxes at the end of
> some, but not all, lines.
>
> They have no effect on the parsing of the scene file, and I'm assuming
> they're some sort of end-of-line symbol or something, but, since many lines
> lack them entirely, while some others have a string of six or seven of
> these, I'm just curious what they're from.

Different operating systems use different end-of-line conventions, but the
POV parser copes with them all. The editor may get confused though. There
are many  free programs that can do the end-of-line conversion for you.

Unix/Linux uses control-J (linefeed), Mac uses control-M (carriage return),
and the PC uses control-M followed by control-J.