POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Problem with nested function calls : Problem with nested function calls Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:17:31 EDT (-0400)
  Problem with nested function calls
From: curtmack
Date: 16 Jul 2006 17:55:00
Message: <web.44bab5931f04489193400c860@news.povray.org>
The image I'm trying to render is far to complicated to explain in a brief
post, so I'll just post the problematic code and the #declares at the
beginning of the file.

#declare circlerad = 3;
#declare bandrad = (circlerad*14)/(2*pi);
#declare cangle = 14/360;
#declare stringthick = .1;

#macro getpoint (c,d)
  vaxis_rotate( vaxis_rotate(<circlerad,0,bandrad>,z,d*10), y,(c-1)*cangle)
#end

The basic idea is that getpoint should return the point that is d*10 degress
around the circle numbered c. The circles are numbered starting from c=0,
going ccw, and spaced evenly around the outside "band" so that there are 14
in all. The -1 is for clarity (so that the numbers start at #1).

But getpoint doesn't return the proper points. The value that it seems to be
returning is actually:

vaxis_rotate(<circlerad,0,bandrad>,z,d*10)

no matter what value of c is passed.

I'm sorry if the problem is a bit confusing without knowing the rest of the
code, but it's a long file. I'll post it if needed though.