POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : TRON Game Grid... : Re: TRON Game Grid... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:23:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TRON Game Grid...
From: Tom York
Date: 16 Jul 2006 17:15:01
Message: <web.44baabb4c60ff1307d55e4a40@news.povray.org>
"Mike Sobers" <sob### [at] mindspringcom> wrote:
> I may be wrong, but I doubt that in '82 they were using raytracing for these
> CGI animations (hard to believe I was only 7 then ;) ).

You are half-wrong (I think):

http://www.3gcs.com/tron/publications/time-life/index.htm

The company that did the lightcycles used a method to model and render them
that sounds suspiciously like raytracing of CSG-based objects.

> That's why it's hard to reproduce the effects using a raytracer
> (same reason why games don't use raytracing - it's too slow).

I think at the time raytracing was competitive because the alternative used
so much more memory.

Tom