POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Vegetation simulation WIP 2 : Re: Vegetation simulation WIP 2 Server Time
20 May 2024 14:56:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vegetation simulation WIP 2
From: Gena
Date: 14 Jul 2006 13:30:00
Message: <web.44b7d421bf1ea0bbadfc44880@news.povray.org>
Many moons ago in one of these newsgroups I described
a functionality of the POV-Ray planting system which
I would like to create. As usual I didn't have time
even to start that project :( But the idea was to
create either a script or a set of scripts with very
similar functionality to Norbert's script.

One of the ideas was to implement arbitrary user-defined
areas through pigments. So that in addition to checking
current height the script could also check the RGB of provided
pigment. The pigment should be black&white. If the color is black
there is no any plant in place. If the color is white there is
a plant in this point. If the color is gray the plant could
have the height depending on the intensity of the grey. This
way you could vary plant heights in the border zones.

For example, to make curved road using this approach you could
provide pigment as an image map prepared in Photoshop. The road
could have black color with gradient to white zones for plants.

Another pigment provided to the scripts could control the color
of the grass or stems. And voila you can control absolutely all
parameters of your plants.
Good luck!

Gena.