POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Vegetation simulation WIP 2 : Re: Vegetation simulation WIP 2 Server Time
10 May 2024 01:11:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vegetation simulation WIP 2
From: Norbert Kern
Date: 13 Jul 2006 15:30:00
Message: <web.44b69e4cbf1ea0bb122406350@news.povray.org>
"Zeger Knaepen" <zeg### [at] povplacecom> wrote:
> you know, when watching tech-demos like that one of the CryEngine2, I
> sometimes wonder why I'm still working with slow raytrace-renderers like
> POV-Ray.  The images rendered at, say, 30fps by Crysis are much more
> realistic than what I could do in months POVSDL-coding, parsing and
> tracing, at about 20hpf (hours per frame).  So I sometimes even wonder
> what's the point of raytracing, those games-engines seem to be much more
> interesting?
>
> but looking at an image like this, I realise games-engines still have a
> very long way to go :)
>
> and so do I :-/ :)

I don't want to be better than hard working experienced game programmers.
I want to learn something about nature and myself - it's a hobby and not a
profession.
Since 5 years I thought of making this. Now when I made the first steps it
seems so easy that I don't understand why it took so long.

Norbert Kern