POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : TRON Game Grid... : Re: TRON Game Grid... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:24:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TRON Game Grid...
From: Carl
Date: 12 Jul 2006 17:55:01
Message: <web.44b56956c60ff13070dc520d0@news.povray.org>
Ok see my latest try over in the image area.

Or here: http://www.wwwmwww.com/Matt/test1.png

I thought I'd give media filled cylinders a try and it doesn't look that bad
until you put something on the game grid and look close.  However I now have
another idea that I'm optimistic might work.  But I think I need some help
with the math.

Lets assume we make the grid using an object patern applied to the plane.
For the object we can use two arrays of cylinders.  Something like this:

    #local r=0.01*block_size;
    #local i=0;
    #while (i<z_grids+0.5)
      cylinder {<0,0,i*block_size>,<x_length,0,i*block_size>, r}
      #local i=i+1;
    #end

    #local i=0;
    #while (i<x_grids+0.5)
      cylinder {<i*block_size,0,0>,<i*block_size,0,z_length>, r}
      #local i=i+1;
    #end

However lets have each cylinders radius be a function of the distance from
the camera to the closest point on that cylinder to the camera.  Now lets
say I have the camera at <x1,y1,z1>.  Each cylinder is defined by 2 points.
 Something like <0,0,zA> and <Constant,0,zA>.  Hmmm... I think I may have
just answered my own question.  The closest point along that line would be
<x1,0,zA> wouldn't it?  Now... to think about what that function should be.
 Any ideas?

Off to try a few more things myself...
Carl