POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : TRON Game Grid... : Re: TRON Game Grid... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:18:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TRON Game Grid...
From: Carl
Date: 12 Jul 2006 10:05:00
Message: <web.44b5005bc60ff13070dc520d0@news.povray.org>
"Mike Sobers" <sob### [at] mindspringcom> wrote:
> An alternate solution to those already posted is to try to reproduce the
> process used for the original TRON images.  The gridlines are 2D objects
> pasted onto the image plane (i.e. your computer screen), not onto the floor
> plane.

If that's correct why are there shadows on the grid lines in TRON?

http://digitalstratum.com/images/tron/screenshots/hover_5.png

They look to be 2D objects pasted on the floor plane to me.

Thanks for all the work guys I still need to do my part and try to digest
everyone elses posted solutions but so far I don't think anyone has
actually reproduced the process used for the original TRON images.
Considering how "primitive" the raytracing software MAGI used back then
must have been by today's standard it amazes me sometimes just how hard it
is to copy what they did with today's software.

Thanks again,
Carl