POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : TRON Game Grid... : Re: TRON Game Grid... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:25:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TRON Game Grid...
From: Mike Sobers
Date: 10 Jul 2006 13:15:00
Message: <web.44b289fcc60ff1301009749b0@news.povray.org>
"Mike Sobers" <sob### [at] mindspringcom> wrote:

> An alternate solution to those already posted is to try to reproduce the
> process used for the original TRON images.  The gridlines are 2D objects
> pasted onto the image plane (i.e. your computer screen), not onto the floor
> plane. As a result, the gridlines don't become "flat" as they approach the
> horizon. So, why not use physical 2D objects (clipped planes?) for the
> gridlines, and rotate them so that their normals are always perpindicular
> to the camera?  I'm not sure how easy this is to accomplish, but this would
> maintain thier "thickness" as viewed from the camera for the horizontal
> lines, while the lines leading away from the camera would decrease in
> thickness as required.  The problem with patterns is that they sit on the
> ground plane and have zero "height" as they approach the horizon.
>
> Or, you may just have to settle for something that looks "close enough" as
> many of the posted solutions do.
>
> Mike

Or better yet, cylinders, since they will always have the same area normal
to the image plane regardless of viewing elevation angle.

See http://news.povray.org/web.44b28792e4538ab61009749b0%40news.povray.org
in the binary images section.  Of course, your cycles will have to ride
"over" the gridlines, since they're 3D, but depending on the camera
perspective it may not be noticeable.

Mike