POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Help with POV-Ray on a mac cluster : Help with POV-Ray on a mac cluster Server Time
1 May 2024 20:26:40 EDT (-0400)
  Help with POV-Ray on a mac cluster
From: space cadet
Date: 5 Jul 2006 18:10:00
Message: <web.44ac38204d0ade918339b0050@news.povray.org>
Hi.

I've been running povray on a linux cluster very successfully for awhile,
but for reasons too long to go into, I need to port to our Mac cluster
immediately.  Its 84 dual processor powerpc macs running OS X.

I'm on a very time critical deadline and if I dont get this working, I'm
sunk.

I downloaded povray for mac.  un-stuffed-it on a stand alone mac.  This
created a Povray-3.6.img file and a POV-Ray 3.6 folder with the
distribution in it.  I copied the distribution folder to my thumbdrive.
Put it on my Windows PC, from which I WinSCP'd it to the mac cluster.

My interface to the mac cluster is thru an xterm window on my SGI, using a
tcsh shell. (thus all the spaces in the file names are going to cause me to
open a vein soon >:-0 )

So I try to run the executable (who's permissions were not set at first, so
I set them for rwx). and I get:

POV-RAY Mac 3.6: POV-Ray Mac 3.6: cannot execute binary file

What is my problem?  I have little to no experience with macs, and
unfortunately have no time to incur a learning curve at this point.  Did
the binary format get mangled when bouncing it off my Windows PC?

Should I take the .sit file and unpack it directly on the cluster? I didnt
know how to do that, which is why I used the stuff-it on the stand alone
mac with the mac GUI. (If so, I'm still gonna have to bounce the .sit off
my Windows PC)

I read thru some of the other posts here, and I dont even know what Rosetta
is, or what the issues with an emulator, or intel-mac, etc. are.

I would be greatly appreciative is somebody could help me out, hopefully its
something simple to a mac user, but that I'm oblivious to.

Thanks in advance.