POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Tiling an image map with non-zero map_type : Re: Tiling an image map with non-zero map_type Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:19:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tiling an image map with non-zero map_type
From: Tom York
Date: 26 Jun 2006 18:40:00
Message: <web.44a06176c80c6d017d55e4a40@news.povray.org>
"PM 2Ring" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> You can use a tiled image map, but you have to do it in stages. The trick is
> to use a function image (3.5.11.16 in the 3.6 docs), also referred to as the
> function internal bitmap, in the index.

I think the principle here is similar to what I came up with, but yours
looks more direct for images. Thanks!

> I don't know how this will affect memory requirements or rendering speed -
> it might work out better to just tile your image first with another
> program.

Oh, very little for this sort of size. I just objected on philosophical
grounds to having to tile a texture by hand! And the advantage of tiling it
in POV is that I could (should the madness take me) easily layer several
copies of the same texture, each with different numbers of repetitions, to
create a more complicated surface.

Thanks,

Tom