POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Penrose Tile Macros : Re: Penrose Tile Macros Server Time
3 May 2024 18:48:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Penrose Tile Macros
From: PM 2Ring
Date: 26 Jun 2006 09:00:01
Message: <web.449fd9596376349e1bd1c060@news.povray.org>
"Jon Buller" <jon### [at] bullersnet> wrote:

Nice work, Jon. And the code is relatively easy to read, too.

> P.S. I found a reference to doing penrose tiling with a pair of triangles.
> 4 triangles make a "Kite" two make a "Dart", and the two types each pair up
> to make the two different Rhombs.  The advantage of this new way is that
> when the triangles "inflate", the new parts don't overlap, so duplicate
> checking doesn't need to be done.  (Or simple code doesn't generate multiple
> copies of the same object.)

The Penrose macros posted my John Van Sickle & myself don't generate
duplicates... I hope! :) These macros operate on the golden isoceles
triangles, rather than on darts & kites, etc.

> The disadvantage is that I am not sure if it is
> easy/possible to tell which triangles belong to which Kite, Dart, or Rhomb
> without looking at the triangle's neighbors.  I'll play with it some more
> and see if I can figure it out.

Good luck! I think you will need to examine neighbours.