POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : More on memory problem : Re: More on memory problem Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:22:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More on memory problem
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 19 Jun 2006 07:35:00
Message: <web.44968ad3778bc53f731f01d10@news.povray.org>
I too have had memory problems, both under MacOS X and Windows. In fact, I
actually had a render abort with an 'out of memory' error after about 70%
completion, which I've never seen before! Luckily I was able to switch off
some scene elements that had already been rendered and restart the trace
with the +C switch.

I am a little confused though - I thought POV-Ray used virtual memory when
it runs out of physical RAM. In which case, it should merely slow down
instead of aborting or crashing...

The only way to solve such issues as far as I can tell is just to be as
efficient as possible with code and objects :(

Bill