POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Worst Greeble Formula...Ever! : Worst Greeble Formula...Ever! Server Time
25 Jul 2024 16:16:03 EDT (-0400)
  Worst Greeble Formula...Ever!
From: Hosiah
Date: 15 Jun 2006 07:00:01
Message: <web.44913cdf75c99535a8c263d50@news.povray.org>
....which I say, because all I do with POVray is render the heightfield.
*generating* the heightfield I do in Gimp:

(1) run your favorite noise filter. Think star/speckle patterns.
(2) pixelate it, then edge-detect it with LaPlace. Repeat as desired.
(3) run a low Gaussian blur about 2.0 on it. You want some of the lines to
blend, but not all of them. you should now have various blocks and
maze-shapes.
(4) With the paint bucket at various gray shades, you can either click
randomly around or zoom in and try to make it look like something.
(5) Save it as a PNG, go in POVray, use the PNG as a height-field. Here I
textured it with metal finish.

It's nothing, really, but I've noticed the greeble fad in here, so I thought
I'd share my concept. With this effect, I wanted acres of cold metal
machinery stretching out in a Borg-like complexity without ever repeating.
But I can also map it as a normal in a texture itself.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'complexity.jpg' (215 KB)

Preview of image 'complexity.jpg'